Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Montre Mwen"

I just returned from my month(ish) long visit back to Haiti. It was amazing! I am so privileged to have gone from making acquaintances to having friends to feeling like I have a Haitian family who will welcome me anytime. I have truly met some of the most lovely people there. God did not use me for all of the "big,important" things I had hoped to tell my old co-workers. Instead, He used me in extraordinary ordinary ways. I was the official boo-boo bandager, disciplinary, spider killer, teacher and "big sister". For the first 3 weeks I slept in the girls room, surrounded by little bunks and curious faces. The girls are both sweet and smart, translating my broken Haitian Creole while helping me sweep around my tent. It was during those mostly quiet times that each of the girl's personalities showed through. One night, long after I had fallen asleep, I heard the voice of the youngest girl there whispering my name. I quickly turned on my flashlight to see her siting next to my tent speaking to me in Creole. I told her I didn't understand what she was saying and we sat staring at each other. Finally I remembered a very simple phrase from the last time I did pharmacy at the clinic, "Montre Mwen" or "show me". I repeated it twice and with that, her little hand took mine and we began to walk outside.I'd be lying if I said wasn't scared. I still had no idea where she was taking me and I'm not a fan of darkness. Finally,as we reached the property gate,she let go of my hand and went to a little faucet to grab a quick sip of water. That was it,she just wanted a little sip of water and she trusted me to go with her, so she wouldn't have to go alone. We walked back to the bunks and she hopped in her bed to fall asleep. As I get ready to depart for round two of my travels, that's what I want. I want God to show me. I'm so thankful to even have the luxury of travel. I'm thankful for the option of having no idea what option to take. And I'm thankful for the family and friends along the way who have encouraged me, supported me and been "in it" with me so I don't have to go alone.Thailand! Here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment